This article mainly aims to exploring different mobile platforms available, their pros and cons, also explains how it is different from each other and their upcoming developments.
Android – Google
Android is the world’s most widely used smartphone platform.
Google’s Android is a Linux-based operating system designed for touchscreen smartphones, and tablets. Android’s open source nature has made it a favorite for consumers and developers alike. It provides access to a wide range of useful libraries and tools that can be used to build rich applications.
- Easy to read notification tray gives you quick access to your incoming calls, text, and new email in non intrusive way.
- Largest number of third party applications
- Multitasking is very smartly integrated and easily possible with Android devices
- There is no syncing between the Android phone and PC directly.
- Delay in getting OS update due to delay in getting approval from mobile manufacturer
- There are many different companies producing android devices and thus the accessory compatible with one device might not work with the other.
The latest version is Android 4.2 Jelly Bean which has new features like:
- Wireless Display
- Google Now brings latest updates
- Photosphere camera
- Smart keyboard with Gesture Typing
iOS – Apple
iOS is a mobile operating system developed and distributed by Apple Inc. it has been extended to support other Apple devices such as the iPad and Apple TV. Apple does not license iOS for installation on non-Apple hardware.
- iOS updates are free
- Revolutionary, intuitive multi-touch interface
- As developed keeping in mind Apple devices, works almost perfect with hardware
- Siri, the intelligent personal assistant working on voice command
- In iOS6 there is no support for offline maps.
- not licensed for installation on non-Apple hardware
The latest version is iOS 6 which has new features like:
- More language and country support for Siri
- Passbook to keep our boarding passes, loyalty cards, retail coupons, movie tickets etc. in one place — on iPhone or iPod touch
Blackberry 10 – BlackBerry Limited
BlackBerry 10 OS is a mobile operating system developed by BlackBerry Ltd. This brand has been the favorite for those who are executives and businessmen. The popularity of Blackberry is going up almost every year mainly because of its numerous features that help people to stay in touch with their work even when they are on the move. Blackberry devices are perfect for multi-tasking.
- Best battery management
- Renowned BlackBerry security; Security of communicating over BlackBerry Device
- BlackBerry’s elegant keyboard (QWERTY format) still remains the number one choice for many customers.
- The push email experience is excellent amongst others.
- Blackberry App World does not come with a wide selection of apps.
- The browser is much slower compared to iPhones and Android.
- The app store lacked decent amount of applications and it failed to attract developers.
Windows Phone – Microsoft
Launched in 2010 Windows phone is a mobile OS developed by Microsoft and successor to Windows Mobile. Nokia’s Lumia series is using Windows Phone 8.
- Familiarity with Windows Platform as many people use Windows OS in their laptops/desktops
- Apps are conveniently grouped under heads like People, Office Hub etc
- Convenience of using Microsoft Office apps like Outlook, Word, Excel etc
Currently no: of people using Windows Phone OS in their mobile phone are low in number compared to Android and iOS users
The latest version is Windows Phone 8 which has features like:
- Start Screen having Live Tiles to get automatic updates
- Wallet to store reward cards, vouchers, credit cards, local deals and membership cards in a single place
Tap to share using NFC sharing, to exchange files with another NFC-capable device
|Android||iOS||BlackBerry OS||Windows Phone|
|Company||Open Handset Alliance/Google||Apple, Inc||BlackBerry||Microsoft|
|Current version||4.2 Jelly Bean||ios6||BlackBerry 10||Windows Phone 8|
|Non English Language Support||Limited||YES||YES||YES|
|Google Play||App Store||Windows Phone Store||App World|
|Multi Tasking||YES||Very Limited||YES||8+|